History

Original Barn Prior to 1922

In December of 1921 a meeting of 13 State College residents was held which resulted in the incorporation of the Centre Hills Country Club. Among the group were State College professional and business leaders, Penn State faculty and administrators.

Eight-five acres of land were purchased on which stood a barn that had been built in approximately 1845. This structure was nearly 10 years older than the first building built on the Penn State Campus! This barn was remodeled into a clubhouse, with many changes having been made over the years. The original clubhouse provided accommodations for 32 overnight guests. These were often used for visiting teams during tournaments. This original barn was razed in 2003 due to a combination of member needs and structural issues. A modern clubhouse was erected on the original footprint.

Original Clubhouse

The Golf Course

The original 9-hole golf course was laid out by champion golfer, A. H. Findlay. Findlay has widely been considered the father of American Golf. Another widely  recognized golf architect, Mr. Francis James, supervised the construction. With the exception of two new greens and several new tees, these holes remain essentially unchanged. The fairways are narrow and the greens are small and well bunkered. The tee on number Four was inaugurated by President Dwight D. Eisenhower (he put his shot on the green with a new five-wood!)
Breaking groudn for the secong nine in 1965 In 1964 land was acquired south of Branch Road from Gordon Kissinger. A second nine holes opened on this property in 1967. These holes were designed by the renowned  Robert Trent Jones Sr. These holes were built by Herbert Imbt.

In 1992 construction began on a third nine holes. The planning and design of the holes were initiated in accordance with a plan designed by top golf course designer, Edmund Ault. The contractor for the Mount Nittany Expressway and then president of the club, Herbert Imbt, was able to use excess fill from the expressway to assist in the con tour of the course.

Centre Hills now enjoys 27 exceptionally manicured holes of golf with bent grass fairways. Professionals have long credited Centre Hills for having among the finest (and fastest) greens in Pennsylvania. The club also boasts a world class practice facility.

Interior of the original clubhouse

Amenities

As Centre Hills developed into a fine country club, other amenities have been added through the years. In 1931 a wonderful swimming pool with outstanding views of Mount Nittany. The tennis courts are beautifully situated among the pines. The re-development of the clubhouse in 2003 has provided the club with more dining and function space as well as excellent locker room facilities.